For information about nuVoices Submission for 2016 please visit:
Final Four Chosen for the 3rd annual nuVoices Play Festival
We would like to deeply express our thanks to all of those who submitted to the festival or were involved in the reading and selection process. This year saw a near doubling of the number of scripts that were brought to our door from last year. There were so many wonderful scripts submitted this year that it was difficult narrowing down the competition to only four, and we wish that we had the resources to invite all of the exceptional work that we read during the process. The strength of this group is a testament to the health of the American playwriting community. We feel honored and privileged to have read your work.
The Final Four chosen for the 3rd Annual nuVoices Play Festival have been listed below. The festival workshop process will take place in January 2015 from the 11th-18th, and updates for the 4th annual nuVoices Play Festival will be posted soon after.
Information about acting opportunities is available at
For all questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
3rd Annual nuVoices Finalists (in no particular order):
Caesar’s Blood by Rich Rubin
Chatting with the Tea Party by Rich Orloff
The Woodpusher by Sean Pomposello
INC. by Diana Grisanti
Meet Our Final Four
nuVoices was originally created with the intention of providing an opportunity for collaboration, growth, and exploration of the newest and best plays on a local, regional, and national level. It aims not only to create a unique program that helps to foster audience appreciation of taking a play from the page to the stage, but also one that focuses on the creation of a one-of-a-kind environment for a community of playwrights, actors, directors, and artists to come together over a common project. The process starts with play submission and is quickly followed by months of dedicated readers pouring over the offered texts to narrow it down, finally, to only a handful of chosen plays. From there directors, designers, and actors are brought together to help the playwright breathe life off of paper and into the space. The culmination of events all of these events is brought out in a festival of staged readings held near the end of summer, and where a single play will be chosen as the festival’s winner.
Each play selected for the festival will get two script in hand staged readings, with assigned directors, dramaturgs, and actors. Each playwright selected will be brought to Charlotte and provided housing for the duration of the rehearsal process. They will be included in the entire week of rehearsals and will also receive $500 honorarium. The winning play will then be invited to have a full production mounted during Actor’s Theatre of Charlotte’s 2015-2016 season.
THE DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSIONS HAS PASSED. WE ARE NO LONG ACCEPTING SUBMISSIONS.
If you would like to review this year's submission guidelines please look below. Please contact email@example.com if you have any questions or concerns.
WE ARE NO LONGER ACCEPTING SUBMISSIONS!
Actor’s Theatre envisions nuVoices being a springboard for new plays to catapult to the national stage through our existing relationship with the National New Play Network, as well as a program to mentor the next generation of professional artistic talent in the Charlotte region.
The goals of nuVoices are three-fold:
1. To celebrate and cultivate new plays by emerging American playwrights.
2. To incubate professional artistic talent in the Charlotte region.
3. To educate the public on the process of taking new plays from page to stage.
nuVoices for a nuGeneration was created by Actor’s Theatre of Charlotte to honor and encourage emerging playwrights of the American Theatre. Four authors of selected works will be awarded a $500 honorarium, with transportation and housing provided. There will be a seven-day residency and two script-in-hand public readings to take place in January 2015. Following the end of the four-day festival, the festival winner, who will be determined by a panel theatre critics and audience members, will be invited by the Theatre for a full production in the 2015 – 2016 season.
- Scripts must be unpublished and non-professionally produced at the time of the Festival. Workshops and readings are acceptable.
- Selected playwrights must be in attendance for the Festival in January 2015
- Previous submissions to the nuVoices Festival will NOT be considered
Guidelines for Submission
- All submissions MUST be received electronically.
- Script submission must be made through the online submission form
- One script submission per playwright
- Full-length, original plays only (no musicals, translations, adaptations or children's plays).
- Your resume
- Submitted in PDF formats with observance to the following:
* Text in 12pt type and in a plain font, such as Times New Roman.
* Script must include title and page numbers at the bottom of each page.
* Script must include title page and list of characters and settings.
- Please type the name of your play as you would like it to be read/shown for future reference.
- Submissions not adhering to all guidelines will not be considered unless fixed when requested.
- Upon submission you will receive an email confirmation within one week.
- If you did not receive confirmation, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
*we are currently not accepting international submissions*
About Actor's Theatre of Charlotte
The mission of Actor's Theatre of Charlotte is to present, in an intimate environment, bold and innovative new works by contemporary playwrights who share our respect for language and humanity. Our philosophy and goal continue to be the presentation of regional premieres of thought provoking, challenging and entertaining contemporary plays. Actor's Theatre is the only professional theatre in the region that dedicates its entire programming to new works that are daring, offbeat and, yes, sometimes controversial. Through the years we have remained steadfast to this original mission and philosophy and hopefully will continue to be your entertainment source for these exciting new plays for years to come.
Actor's Theatre of Charlotte is supported in part by an Operating Support Grant from the Arts & Science Council of Charlotte/Mecklenburg, Inc., by a State Arts Resources Grant from the North Carolina Arts Council, a division of the Department of Cultural Resources, and by an Operating Grant from the Shubert Foundation.